Why your Small Business needs Social Media (with Stats)
When it comes to social media, many small business owners feel one of two things—that it hasn’t been successful for them, or that it’s already too late to start. You may feel overwhelmed or maybe you do not have enough time every week to maintain your social media accounts?
If this is you, you really need to reconsider the value of social media for your small business, as it is a powerful way to expand your audience and engage with your customers.
Here are 10 reasons why your Small Business needs Social Media:
- Social Media users in Australia are some of the most active in the world, with a total of around 60% of the country’s population an active user on Facebook, and 50% of the country logging onto Facebook at least once a day.
- According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics Population Clock there are now approximately 25 million Australians. Facebook’s recent data shows there are now 15 million active Australians on Facebook. Therefore approximately 60% of the total Australian population is an active Facebook user. This is a huge number!
- 6 in 10 Australians use Facebook
- 1 in 2 Australians use Facebook on a daily basis
- 1 in 2 Australians use YouTube
- 1 in 3 Australians use Instagram
- 1 in 4 Australians use Snapchat
- LinkedIn now reports there are 8 million registered users in Australia, according to our research – just over half of this number log in every month.
- Facebook Demographics in Australia
- Ages 13 – 17 = 940,000 users
- Ages 18 – 25 = 3,500,000 users
- Ages 25 – 39 = 6,100,000 users
- Ages 40 – 55 = 4,100,000 users
- Ages 55 – 64 = 1,600,000 users
- Ages 65+ = 1,200,000 users
- Spending as little as 6 hours a week on social media marketing, 92% of marketers reported that social media increased exposure for their business. Simply having a Facebook or Twitter page that posts once in a while puts your business on the digital map and adds legitimacy to your operation.
- Using social media to advertise your business is extremely cost-effective, and you can’t afford to miss out on this trend that clearly won’t stop anytime soon.
- 71% of customers stated that they were more likely to buy from a company after having a positive social media experience.
- Use existing followers to gain new ones: 1 in 3 consumers would mention a brand when sharing a social media post about a life milestone. Consumers primarily mention brands in the hopes of interaction with the business, whether it be acknowledgment or a discount. An easy way to interact with consumers is to share their post on your business’s social media. Considering that people tend to trust family, friends, and even acquaintances more than they trust businesses, this is a great way to convert more potential customers.